CSM item #:
Bluetooth modem based on the Bluegiga WT11. RS232 CMOS/TTL electrical interface. Bluetooth profiles: SPP, HFP, HSP, OPP, FTP, DUN, HID, A2DP, AVRCP, DI, HDP and PBAP.
Optional low dropout regulator Microchip MCP1824, voltage shift level with N-channel MOSFETs and supply LED.
The Bluegiga WT11 is compatible with:
- iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4 and original
- iPod Touch 2nd generation and later
- iPad and iPad2
10- 15 days (in case out of stock)
The BlueCSM Gold is a Bluetooth modem based on the Bluegiga WT11. The modem has available the signals RX and TX and control flow to allow easy integration in many electronic embedded products. Any serial stream can be passed seamlessly from your computer to your target.
The BlueCSM Gold has the same pinout as the Sparkfun Bluetooth Modems BlueSMiRF Gold, BlueSMiRF HID or BlueSMiRF Silver.
- Pin 1: CTS
- Pin 2: VCC
- Pin 3: GND
- Pin 4: TX
- Pin 5: RX
- Pin 6: RTS
The difference is that the Sparkfun BlueSMiRF is based on Roving Networks RN-41 and the BlueCSM Gold is based on Bluegiga WT11 which is pretty much powerful than the Roving Networks RN-41.
The Bluegiga WT11 has a long list of Bluetooth profiles in comparison with Roving Networks RN-41 that only has SPP. Also the Bluegiga WT11 has a very extensive WRAP4 Bluetooth stack firmware, that provide pretty much more services than Roving Networks RN-41, like events in the pairing process or incoming calls
We have 3 versions available for different supply voltage (VCC) and the communication signals voltage levels (CTS, TX, RX and RTS) requirements
You can choose between following variant
- [A]: BlueCSM Gold – VCC 5V / Signals 5V
- [B]: BlueCSM Gold – VCC 5V / Signals 3.3V
- [C]: BlueCSM Gold – VCC 3.3V / Signals 3.3V
In those variants with VCC 5V, the board is populated with the Microchip MCP1824 (300 mA, low voltage, low quiescent current LDO regulator).
When the communication signals are compatible with 5V, the outputs (TX and RTS) have a shift level implemented with N-channel MOSFETs and the inputs (RX and CTS) with a 10k liming resistor.
If no hardware control flow is required (RTS and CTS), optionally the signals populating a resistor or using a simple cable.
You have also available pads for "Power Supply LED" and a pad for the reset signal if you application requires to access to it.
For mechanical stability improvement, in the opposite side of the PCB, there is a header of two pins connected to GND. Additionally the connection also improve the ground reference.
Special attention has been taken in the PCB layout and the filtering of the VCC signal of Bluegiga WT11. We have followed the manufacturer recommendation and component selection.
The BlueCSM can be easily connected to any RS232 Breakout, like Sparkfun Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial. The Breakout allows you to control the BlueCSM Gold easily with your computer using TeraTerm, BGTerm (provided by Bluegiga) or whatever terminal program.
- PCB Dimensions: 42.6x27x4mm
- Flexible VCC supply
- 3.4 to 6.0V in the VCC 5V version
- 3.1 to 3.6V in the VCC 3.3V version
- Flexible communication signals
- 5V compatible
- 3.3V compatible
- Improve mechanical stability
- Bluegiga WT11 Bluetooth v.2.1 + EDR, class 1
- Radio performance
- Transmit power : +17 dBm
- Receiver sensitivity: -86 dBm
- Integrated iWRAP Bluetooth stack
- 14 integrated Bluetooth profiles (SPP, HFP, HSP, OPP, FTP, DUN, HID, A2DP, AVRCP, DI, HDP and PBAP)
- Simple ASCII based host protocol
- Industrial temperature range: -40C to +85C
- Bluetooth end product, CE, FCC and IC qualified
- Integrated chip antenna
- Idle consumption current average of 1.5mA
- Operating frequency range: 2400~2483.5 MHz
BlueCSM Gold – VCC 5V / Signals 3.3V